WHERE Reader's Survey
WHERE READERS MEAN BUSINESS
More people visit Winnipeg than live here. The overnight travel market represents over 1.4 million visitors a year, compared to the local population of 700,000. Fanfare publications reach travellers at every stage of both their planning and their visit, so you can be sure to make these numbers mean business for you.
WHERE READERS SURVEY
- 99% say Where is somewhat or very useful
- 66% carry Where with them while exploring the city
- 56% have read Where previously
- 4.6 times is the average number of times readers refer to each issue
- 50% of travellers go shopping in the city they are visiting
- 90 million is the number of worldwide Where readers annually
- 65 years of trust-building is how long Where has been published
- 43% of overnight visits are spent in hotels or motels, with an average stay of 2.3 days
- 626,000 people stay in Winnipeg hotels each year
- 654,000 people stay in Winnipeg with friends and family each year
- The average hotel occupancy in Winnipeg is 61%
- Of 6000 total rooms, there are 3660 occupied any given night citywide, with an average of 1.1 people per room. Thus 4000 people are resident in hotels any given night
- Of 2350 downtown hotel rooms, there are 1400 rooms occupied in downtown on any given night. Thus 1550 people are resident in downtown hotels any given night
- 262,000 people visit for business or convention purposes
- 217,000 Americans visit each year
- 53,000 International travellers visit each year
- $282 is the average per person expenditure of all overnight visitors during their visit
- $71 is the average per person expenditure on food and beverage by overnight visitors during their visit. This represents an annual market of $44.5 million!
- $68 is the average per person expenditure on shopping purchases by overnight visitors during their visit. This represents an annual market of $42.5 million!
- $19 is the average per person expenditure on recreation and entertainment by overnight visitors during their visit. This represents an market of $12.2 million!
SEASON OF TRAVEL
- 17% of overnight visits are January-March
- 28% of overnight visits are April-June
- 32% of overnight visits are July-September
- 22% of overnight visits are October-December
Sources: MRI Where Reader Survey,
Statistics Canada 2001 CITIES project